Current:Home > MarketsBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -Wealth Evolution Experts
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 06:03:10
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (62)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- What happens when our Tesla Model Y's cameras can't see? Nothing good.
- Old Navy Under $20 Finds – $13 Leggings, $13 Bodysuits, $5 Sweaters & More Unbelievable Deals
- Taylor Swift and her mom meet Southport stabbing victims backstage at Eras Tour
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- The top 10 Heisman Trophy contenders entering the college football season
- Ex-officer convicted in George Floyd’s killing is moved to new prison months after stabbing
- Ruth Johnson Colvin, who founded Literacy Volunteers of America, has died at 107
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Alicia Silverstone Eats Fruit Found on the Street in New Video—And Fans Are Totally Buggin’
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Injured Lionel Messi won't join Argentina for World Cup qualifying matches next month
- Chappell Roan Calls Out Entitled Fans for Harassing and Stalking Her
- Las Vegas hospitality workers at Venetian reach tentative deal on first-ever union contract
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Maker of prepared meals will hire 300 new workers in $6 million Georgia expansion
- Panama deports 29 Colombians on first US-funded flight
- US Justice Department to investigate violence and sexual abuse at Tennessee’s largest prison
Recommendation
Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
Ford, General Motors among 221,000 vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
DNC comes to 'Little Palestine' as Gaza deaths top 40,000
A West Texas ranch and resort will limit water to residents amid fears its wells will run dry
British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
Raiders go with Gardner Minshew over Aidan O'Connell as starting quarterback
Taylor Swift and her mom meet Southport stabbing victims backstage at Eras Tour
Federal government grants first floating offshore wind power research lease to Maine